Foods Alive is an HEC Green Business located in Angola, IN. Their process in creating healthful and tasty products is very simple, yet extremely impactful. They test every batch of seeds to make sure they sprout before passing along the living nutrients to you!
We selected this recipe for Meatless Monday because not only does it demonstrate a “vegan hack” — replacing the usual Parmesan with gluten-free, “cheesy” Nutritional Yeast — but it also incorporates a main ingredient that can easily be grown at home in Indiana: arugula! During these times of uncertainty and occasional shortage of groceries, having a garden is one way to ensure healthy and tasty produce. You may also try substituting basil, mint, or parsley in this vegan pesto recipe from Foods Alive!
- ½ cup of cashews
- 7 oz of arugula
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of himalayan pink salt
- 6 turns of a pepper grinder
- ¼ cup oil (2 parts Extra Virgin Olive to 1 part Gold Flax Oil)
- 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of hulled hemp seeds
Place each item in order into your food processor.
Leave it a little chunky.
This will keep for about 4 days in the refrigerator.
Serve with your favorite Flax Cracker or Red Bell Pepper strips.
- I don’t have a food processor, so I used a blender, which made the pesto more creamy than chunky.
- This is delicious on zoodles (zucchini noodles)!