Read about the Hoosier Environmental Council (HEC)’s 2023 priorities for Indiana’s Legislative Session. For the latest news on legislation, check out our 2023 Bill Watch.
2023-2025 INDIANA STATE BUDGET:
- Support a robust increase in state investment in land, water and wildlife conservation, working with the Indiana Conservation Alliance. This includes increased funding for the President Harrison Conservation Trust, Clean Water Indiana, endangered fish and wildlife protection, and state assistance to private woodland owners. Read HEC’s full statement on Conservation Funding.
- Support increased funding for Indiana’s 63 local public transit systems.
- Support increased trail and greenway funding.
CLIMATE & ENERGY:
- Support legislation requiring Indiana to adopt a state climate action plan.
- Support legislation enabling the expansion of community solar in Indiana.
- Oppose legislation that hampers renewable energy deployment or that mandates electric utilities to continue burning coal.
WETLANDS, WATERS & FLOODPLAIN PROTECTION:
- Support new tax credits for wetlands protection.
- Oppose legislation to weaken the Indiana Flood Control Act which protects floodways from unwise development.
- Support more frequent inspections of industrial livestock farms.
- Support legislation to improve state oversight of coal ash disposal sites, to require full cleanup of leaking, polluting coal ash impoundments.
- Support legislation requiring childcare centers to test their drinking water for lead.
- Oppose legislation that handcuffs state agencies such as IDEM and DNR and keeps them from fully implementing state and federal laws.