Friday, November 19 – Saturday, November 20
Thank you for joining us at GTS 2021
Greening the Statehouse (GTS) is the largest annual gathering of environmentally-minded Hoosiers. It is the year’s best chance to learn about upcoming legislative issues, engage with environmental public policy experts, and network with environmental-minded Hoosiers and green-minded businesses from across the state. Read our detailed agenda with all of our confirmed speakers.
We want to convey our gratitude to our incredibly informative speakers, to all who kindly registered, to all who took the time to attend and engage, to all of our wonderful non-profit & green business sponsors (noted below), and to our dynamic, talented, and collaborative HEC Team who made this conference possible!
Learn a bit about our 2021 GTS Award Winners! This year we recognized fifteen outstanding individuals and organizations on the forefront of environmental sustainability, climate action, and environmental justice.
Thank you to all who registered and attended this year’s conference. We would love to hear your thoughts on our conference. By taking our survey, you can share your feedback on this year’s program – and you will be entered for a chance to win one of two $50 gift cards! We will choose our two winners on Friday, December 17th at noon ET, so be sure to complete our survey before then!
Powerpoints and Recordings
Click the links below to access the PowerPoint presentations from our GTS 2021 Speakers. Recordings from our event are now available on YouTube.
How can we better the future of solar energy in Indiana in 2022?
- The Indiana Solar Landscape heading into 2022 (Jesse Kharbanda, Executive Director, Hoosier Environmental Council)
- The Current Policy Climate for Rooftop Solar in Indiana (Ben Inskeep, Principal Energy Policy Analyst, EQ Research)
- Environmentally Friendly Utility-Scale Solar: Its Significance & Impact on Communities (Jessi Wyatt, Senior Energy Analyst, Great Plains Institute)
- Building Grand Coalitions for Rooftop Solar (John Delurey, Senior Regional Policy Director, Vote Solar)
How can we protect and restore Indiana’s wetlands & floodplains after SB 389?
- Current Policy in Indiana (Dr. Indra Frank, Hoosier Environmental Council)
- Local Strategies and Opportunities for Floodplain and Wetland Protection (Kerry Daily, Christopher Burke Engineering; Indiana Association for Stormwater and Floodplain Management)
- Protecting Isolated Wetlands: Observations and Considerations for States (Dr. Brenda Zollitsch, Association of State Wetland Managers)
What are our best paths to advance environmental justice in urban and rural Indiana?
- How to Engage your Local Electeds, other Decisionmakers, & the Community on EJ (Paula Brooks, Environmental Justice Coordinator, Hoosier Environmental Council)
- Advances in Safeguarding Hoosier Kids from Lead Poisoning (Garry Holland, Chair of the Education Committee, Indianapolis NAACP)
- Promising Directions for Achieving a Sustainable Food System that Revitalizes Rural Communities (Kim Ferraro, Senior Staff Attorney, Hoosier Environmental Council)
What will it take to move Northern and Southern Indiana from its polluting past & present?
- Quality of Place as the New Economic Banner for Indiana’s Struggling Communities (Dr. Michael Hicks, George and Frances Ball Distinguished Professor of Economics, Ball State University)
- Protecting the Lake Michigan Watershed (Natalie Johnson, Executive Director, Save the Dunes)
- Fighting a Coal-to-Diesel Plant Proposed for SW Indiana (Mary Hess, Southwestern Indiana Citizens for Quality of Life)
- Rethinking Rural Development Strategies: the Mid-States Highway and a Different Paradigm (Tim Maloney, Senior Policy Director, Hoosier Environmental Council)
2022 Climate Legislation in Indiana
- Confront the Climate Crisis (Rahul Durai, Ethan Bledsoe, Annabel Prokopy)
Greening the Statehouse Introductory and Closing Remarks
- Introduction to Greening the Statehouse, Day 1 (Jesse Kharbanda, Executive Director, Hoosier Environmental Council)
- Introduction to Greening the Statehouse, Day 2 (Jesse Kharbanda, Executive Director, Hoosier Environmental Council)
- Farewell Words: Continuing What We Have Accomplished Together (Jesse Kharbanda, Executive Director, Hoosier Environmental Council)